September 7th, 2011 § § permalink
Conversations with the Ryukin (2007)
All of you know by now, I have hilariously rampant creative ADHD. I want to try and learn so many new things. Unless I can live forever or I can clone myself, I cannot take on all the hobbies I want to. This begs the question: How do I determine which new hobby to take on?
First, let’s see what is on my plate at the moment:
- Beading Embroidery – This is my mainstay and what I will always go back to. I find the picture in my head matches the result. There is something so calming doing the beading embroidery.
- Drawing – The embroidery has unseated this long time lover for now. Even though I rarely draw now, I still have the urge to do so and I don’t think it’ll ever go away. Drawing is my first love and always will be. I was a regular eBay artist back in 2005-2007. One of the works I made is the picture you see above. For some unfathomable reason, I just stopped drawing. My favourite medium are colored pencils, ink, and watercolours. I really want to take it up again regularly in the future.
- Doll Sewing – I love sewing for my dolls. I make them custom clothes. I don’t do this on a regular basis anymore since my dolls are put away. Natalie is still a baby and the basement is not done. Once my craft room is finished, I can have my dolls out within reach again and I know I’ll be sewing for them more often.
- Customizing Trikkys – I still have a bare Trikky waiting to be customized. I want to finish this and perhaps get more to ink work on. I really like the black and white look. It’s an awesome medium.
- Writing – I still want to rewrite this novel. I need to really get moving in the conception stage with character sketches and world-building and get my ass in gear. Sadly, I get writer’s block often.
Full plate, yes? I still want to take on so much more. The factors I use to determine what to take on are as follows:
- Money/Finances – Do I have enough money to buy the supplies and tools to properly learn this craft? How much will everything cost in total? Do I need to sell things to justify this hobby?
- Time – How long will it take to do this activity? Can I just pick it up and work on it anytime? Are there processes in this hobby that require large blocks of time? Can I only do this at night when Natalie is asleep?
- Degree of Difficulty – How hard is it to start this hobby? Do any of my present skills give me an advantage in pursuing this? Do I have the patience? Is there instant gratification involved?
I am a big sucker for instant gratification. If you see all the hobbies I have on the go, every single one save for writing involves instant gratification. I think this is why writing is such a painful experience for me. I see myself still as a fledgling amateur. My writing style/skill is nowhere near I want it to be. If you want to get into writing, you will realize that instant gratification is a myth. The criteria above helped me choose miniatures over customizing of Blythes as my next hobby. I definitely will blog about my experience in making miniatures when I get started. I hope the criteria works for you as well if you are planning or hoping to pursue something new.
June 7th, 2011 § § permalink
It is finished!!! Huzzah!
Cheshire Cat with 'Dee and 'Dum
Dormouse and his Teacup
Alice and a Hedgehog
Aerial View #1
Aerial view #2
For my first custom Trikky, I’m rather proud of him. I’m planning the second one already but I’ll be going back to embroidery and starting/finishing a fairytale wreath before I get back into Trikky work.
June 5th, 2011 § § permalink
Alice in Wonderland Trikky WIP #5 - The Dormouse and his Teacup
The wee Dormouse and his teacup is done! I will be working on the arms very soon- Eat Me! and Drink Me!. The hat will be the last piece. This Trikky is almost done!
June 3rd, 2011 § § permalink
I had to wait for sealant to dry so I took a break for a day. I finished the White Rabbit.
This is Alice. I sprayed sealant again to make sure everything is protected. It’ll be another 24 hours until I can work on the teacup/Dormouse. I also need to work on the arms which will be “Eat Me” and “Drink Me.”
It’s getting there! 😀
June 1st, 2011 § § permalink
Alice in Wonderland Trikky WIP # 1
I’ve started working on my Trikky and tried pencil at first. The pencil didn’t stick. I’ve graduated to Micron pens and it did the trick. I began the Cheshire cat and I’ve been pretty pleased with the results.
Alice in Wonderland Trikky WIP #2
This is Tweedledee and Tweedledum. They look exactly as I hoped they would. All the characters will be female. I hope to do Alice on the back with the Mad Hatter. I will adding the Dormouse, tea cup, White Rabbit, March Hare…. so much more to add!
I love returning to ink/line work. It’s been a long time since I’ve concentrated on creating something without colour. I have always used colour as a favourite arsenal in my art work. This is all about lines, line weights, crosshatching, etc. One of the things I’ve learned is to avoid overworking any area. It turns into a smudgy mess otherwise.
May 31st, 2011 § § permalink
My Trikky Project
I picked up one of these at Anime North. I couldn’t help myself. Munnyworld characters include Trikky (a cat), Rooz (a Hippo), and the most recognizable Munny (a baldy figure). It is a customizable toy with a mystery accessory. Mine happens to be a top hat which is perfect for what I’m planning to paint on it. I’m treating my Trikky as a 3D canvas. Most people use these as a means to create the coolest characters they love from movies, anime, and video games. My plans for mine is to make a sideshow piece. The hat will be a perfect accessory to the kitty carnival barker. I’ll be using acrylic paints if what I have in mind doesn’t work out. :’D There will be a ton of trial and error on my part.
Custom Munny Gallery on Flickr
It’ll be good to get back into drawing/painting. I probably will do embroidery in between. I want to finish the Little Mermaid piece and perhaps have it for sale before I continue with my Rococo Cinderella piece. I still plan on making doll clothes but I think I need a wee break after Anime North.