February 17th, 2012 § § permalink
Hey! I’m still alive. I’m just recuperating from surgery I had on Valentine’s Day. I’m still a ways away from recovering. I can’t pick Natalie up until next Tuesday at least. I’m sewing a little bit Blythe wise because it’s so small and easy to do. I haven’t been doing much else.
In the meantime, I’m taking it easy playing Mass Effect 2 which Robert gave me for Valentine’s. He definitely knows the way to my heart. I have a ton of projects ups in the air. I’m not too happy about it but I need to rest. I really have to just take it easy. Yes, I keep telling myself this. I know I pulled a muscle overexerting myself yesterday.
List of Projects Until May:
– Coraline Cosplay
– Coraline Doll
– Doll North Cosplay Contest Entry
– Doll North items for sale
– Snow White
I hope you all have been well! What were you up to on Valentine’s Day?
NB. My DSLR kicked the can. I’m waiting on a back ordered Nikon. 🙁
January 31st, 2012 § § permalink
Coraline's Dragonfly Hair Clips
Coraline’s Dragonfly Clip is done! I will be wearing this with my newly-dyed hair for AN. I’m really happy I went with my instincts and did beading embroidery. 😀
This is the reference pic:
Coraline's Dragonfly Hair Clip Reference Pics
This is the progress shot of the doll. The head will hopefully be drafted/sewn soon. I’ve been feeling very much under the weather lately with a nasty cough, cold, and sore throat. I just hope I can do the doll justice. I may make another one just so I can tweak the pattern. I’m not sure yet.
Coraline's Doll Body
In other news, my pinking shears are at the post office. I can pick them up today. Mini quilts are forthcoming after I finish this doll. 🙂
What are you working on? I hope you are all keeping the germs away!
January 27th, 2012 § § permalink
Coraline Doll Supplies
Today at Lens Mill Store in Port Dover, I picked up everything I need to make the Coraline doll:
– Buttons! – Ok, so I found the yellow ones but I did take two sets of the black to see which would look better as eyes.
– Burlap-like Fabric – Real burlap was really rough and the weave isn’t as tight. I got something that looks like burlap but the weave is much tighter and it catches the light better.
– Black Rain Gear – This is for the skirt of the doll. I opted for this fabric because it’s heavier and it’s shiny. I can make a fuller skirt with it.
– Coral Cotton – I believe it’s cotton and it has this subtle shimmer to it- the way it catches the light. This will serve as the shirt for the doll.
– Blue & Black Yarn – This is for Coraline’s hair.
– Yellow Burlap – This is for the raincoat. I tried finding something else that looked like the type of fabric they used in the movie but I couldn’t find anything comparable. I went with this because it was a nice colour and I liked the weight of it.
The total damage for the supplies (including 3 sheets of black felt not pictured) was $33.08. I’ll be starting the clip tonight. I am going to do beading embroidery to get the dragonfly clip done. I’ve also done a foil base form for the Seeing Stone. I should have progress pics by Monday.
What are you planning this weekend?
NB. I am prepping Princess & the Pea’s hoop this weekend. I’ll be working on it while I work on this. 🙂
January 26th, 2012 § § permalink
Natalie’s favourite movie is Coraline. Robert and I only go to one con a year and it’s Anime North. I thought it would be fitting that I finally took the plunge and go in cosplay. I chose Natalie’s favourite character Coraline.
I will be going as the star-sweatered Coraline. I will need to find a sparkly navy blue mock turtleneck/turtleneck sweater which I will hand applique stars on. I’ll also need black jeans and blue boots. I figure I can find blue boots or paint any comfy pair of boots at Goodwill/Sally Ann. I’ll need to make the dragonfly hair pin as well as a 12″ Coraline doll. I can’t wait to get started on the replica doll. I’m buying the supplies on Friday. Of course, everything will be documented well in this blog. I want to make this cosplay good enough so I can email a picture to Neil Gaiman and Henry Selick. Actually, I need to impress my toughest critic first and that would be Natalie.
I hope to get this all done by March. After March, I’ll have two months to work on the Doll North competition as well as stock for my Doll North marketplace table.
The best part is getting my hair dyed and cut like Coraline’s. I’m excited about having blue hair.
Have you ever cosplayed? (Hahah. Carla, you know I’m not referring to you because you are a pro.)